SCI is experiencing a season of space exploration! From common astronomical occurrences to rare cosmic phenomena, join us to learn about our solar system and beyond.
Experience the out-of-this-world space observation! Join SCI staff and members of the Des Moines Astronomical Society (DMAS) to take a look through high-powered telescopes and get a quick lesson on the basics of telescope operation. Guests will have the opportunity to observe celestial objects, colorful double stars and star clusters, meteor showers and more.
- March 19, 8:00-10:00 pm at Ewing Park - CANCELLED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER
Join us as we search for the Orion Nebula. Also, tonight we will be looking at a waxing gibbous Moon, Jupiter and Uranus!
- April 2, 8:00-10:00 pm at Ewing Park
Come see the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn and Mars!
- April 16, 8:30-10:30 pm at SCI
Come watch the moon wax with us! Tonight we will be looking at the Waxing Gibbous Moon, the planet Jupiter and the brightest star other than our sun, Sirius!
- May 7, 9:30-11:30 pm at Ewing Park
We will be catching this shower right after its peak. Produced by material left over by Comet Halley, the Eta Aquarids will shower us with meteors that will radiate from the constellation Aquarius.
- May 9, 10:00 am - 1:00 pm at SCI - TRANSIT OF MERCURY - CANCELLED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER
Mercury will be crossing the sun and will be visible through our telescopes as a black dot.
- June 11, 9:45-11:45 pm at SCI
The moon is almost at first quarter tonight! Join us to see Mars, Saturn and Jupiter!
- July 9, 9:45-11:45 pm at Ewing Park
A night to celebrate the planets! Come see the beauty of Jupiter, Mars and Saturn through our high powered telescopes!
- August 13, 6:00 pm - Midnight at Ewing Park - PERSEID METEOR SHOWER
The Perseid meteor shower radiates from the constellation Perseus tonight! This shower happens due to our earth crossing the orbit of Comet Swift-Tuttle. Come enjoy the show!
- September 10, 8:00-10:00 pm at SCI
Come observe the craters of moon! The moon is in a waxing gibbous phase tonight and is joined by Mars and Saturn!
- October 8, 7:15-9:15 pm at Ewing Park - INTERNATIONAL OBSERVE THE MOON NIGHT
It is International Observe the Moon Night! Come observe the grandeur that is our moon! We will also get to see Saturn, Mars and possibly Neptune!
- December 10, 10:00 pm - Midnight at Ewing Park - GEMINID METEOR SHOWER
Arguably the most beautiful meteor shower of the year, the Geminids begin on December 7 and end on December 17. Come join us for a display of multicolored meteors radiating from the constellation Gemini!
Events at Ewing Park are held in partnership with Des Moines Park and Recreation.
PLEASE NOTE: Star Parties are weather dependent and are subject to cancellation. Check the SCI website and Facebook for updates on the event.
- listen rte radio online free https://pea.fm/