Current events Recent
One of my students recently asked me about something he saw on the news regarding the Sochi Winter Olympic Games. His question was not about a certain sporting event but instead about the increased security because of the possible terrorist attacks, particularly against athletes from the West. I attempted to explain how some individuals do not agree with the American culture and related the situation back to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States. Unfortunately, the connection I was trying to establish between these events wasn't as clear as I'd hoped because my ninth grade student, born in the year 2000, was unaware of what happened on 9/11. Of course he'd heard of the attacks, but he didn't understand the background behind the event.
This conversation got me thinking about other important events from the 21st century that my students were unaware of but that will have lasting impact on their futures. Some of these events may already be covered in contemporary curriculum, but could be enhanced further by infusing them into other content areas. These discussions could help improve comprehension and global awareness as today's students mature into young adults in our ever changing, digitally connected world where nothing happens in isolation.
The list I've created below is by no means all-encompassing but only a reflection of the events I believe students could develop a deeper understanding about. Instead of just listing facts about each event, I've detailed below a few reasons why each event should be discussed.
1. 9/11 Terrorist Attacks and the War on Terror (2001-Present)
- This explains our national remembrance of the nearly 3, 000 Americans that were killed.
- These attacks led to the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Operation Enduring Freedom is still being fought by our Armed Forces.
- The U.S. government has spent nearly $8 trillion since 2001 on national security.
- There has been a rise in intelligence spending and monitoring of citizens worldwide by governments.
- This is the story behind the building of the Freedom Tower in New York City.
2. Arab Spring (2010-Present)
- A sweep of popular uprisings led to multiple civil wars (Syria's war continues), civil disorder, governmental changes, major and minor protests, and the overthrow of entire governments (Egypt, Libya, Tunisia and Yemen).
- The movement rapidly spread due to social networking sites.
- These changes led to the creation of new governments.
- The uprisings have drawn international support for protestors and condemnation by foreign governments for violence against these countries' citizens.
3. World Financial Collapse (2007-2009)
- This event was considered by some economists to be the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression of the 1930s.
- Governments went to great lengths to bail out banks and private industry.
- The trigger was the housing market drop of 2006, resulting in evictions and foreclosures.
- There was a global rise in unemployment levels.
- Some countries are still recovering from financial losses.
- Congress passed the Consumer Protection Act of 2009 the Dodd-Frank Bill of 2010 (Wall Street reform) as a result of financial mismanagement.
4. Natural Disasters (Early 21st Century)
Each of the following events drew extensive international support.
- The Tohoku Tsunami (2011), caused by a 9.0 earthquake off the coast of Japan, led to the meltdown of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. The death toll reached 18, 400.
- The Boxing Day Tsunami (2004) was caused by a 9.2 earthquake in the Indian Ocean. 230, 000 were killed in 14 different countries.
- Myanmar (also known as Burma) was hit by Cyclone Nargis (2008), which caused the death of more than 146, 000 people.
- The Haiti Earthquake (2010) resulted in the death of over 316, 000 people.
5. Social Networking Revolution (2000-present)
- There are over one billion Facebook users, and that network is now ten years old.
- Legal disputes are now common between potential college students, potential employees, current employees, and companies and universities over privacy violations concerning social media sites.
- We are beginning to see legal disputes concerning government agencies monitoring Americans' digital traffic.
What recent and potential historical events are you discussing with your students?
Was this useful?difference in thinking between males and females thinking in front of computer meme thinking in front of head thinking in java thinking in systems a primer thinking in bets annie duke thinking inside the box thinking inside the box meaning thinking inside the box chess thinking inside the box book thinking inside the box examples thinking inside the crease thinking inside your head thinking inside the box chess pdf thinking into results cost thinking into results book pdf thinking into existence thinking into results review thinking into results lessons thinking into results lesson 2 thinking into results audiobook thinking like a scientist answer key thinking made of thinking putty made of computational thinking made of thinking you are made of glass handmade thinking of you cards homemade thinking of you cards thinking emoji made of thinking emojis critical thinking is made of thinking near rhymes near thinking thinking cup near me thinking putty near me thinking tools near me thinking spots near me thinking to do near me thinking errors class near me next thinking of you flowers next thinking of you peace lily thinking of next year thinking of you gifts thinking of you today thinking off meaning thinking on the margin thinking on your feet thinking on my feet thinking on your feet synonym thinking on the margin definition thinking on the margin examples thinking on the fly abstract thinking as opposed to practice abstract thinking as opposed to practice crossword clue how to practice abstract thinking am i good at abstract thinking how to train abstract thinking thinking opposite of opposite thinking board of innovation opposite of thinking outside the box opposite of thinking logically opposite of thinking out loud opposite of thinking deeply opposite of thinking too much opposite of thinking clearly thinking out loud ed sheeran thinking out loud guitar chords thinking out loud meaning thinking out loud sec network thinking out loud ed sheeran lyrics thinking out of the box thinking outside the box thinking outside the box synonym thinking outside the cage thinking outside the box examples thinking outside of the box is considered thinking outside shed thinking outside the box meaning thinking outside the box quotes thinking over feeling thinking over synonym thinking over feeling meaning thinking over dana glover thinking over meaning thinking over and over again thinking over feeling personality thinking over and over again synonym thinking past tense thinking past the sale thinking past textbook thinking fast and slow audiobook thinking fast and slow summary pdf thinking pro rich thinking pros and cons thinking pro pro thinking definition thinking time pro design thinking pro con critical thinking pro critical thinking pro con since thinking disruptive thinking since 1826 ucl disruptive thinking since 1826 have been thinking since i were thinking or i was thinking thinking through the past thinking through synonym thinking through communication thinking through the past volume 1 thinking through sources thinking through the past volume 2 thinking through sources for ways of the world thinking through grammar thinking thru thru thinking meaning thinking things thru still thinking meaning thinking of you till it hurts john till thinking place thinking of you till it hurts lyrics thinking about something till it happens wishful thinking till svenska